(1 of ) 6/23/2013: B3: 1920s In the 1920s, Prohibition reigned in the United States and Sonoma County was no exception. County detective John Pemberton, right shown raiding a still with federal agents, is noted for his zeal in enforcing the liquor ban.
(2 of ) Speakeasies could be found in the most unexpected places. In this photo, the Eagles Drum Corp play at a picnic in Tomales in 1926. A historical note on this photo claims that the house in the background was a speakeasy. (Sonoma County Library)
(3 of ) 3/4/2007: 79: During the dry era: Above, a lone visitor waits in front of Korbel Wine Cellars for a snapshot during Prohibition. PC: A lone visitor poses in front of Korbel Wine Cellers for a snap shot during prohibition.
(4 of ) Concern over the overconsumption of alcohol started as early as the colonial era. In the 1840s, a number of temperance organizations began to spread their influence into the political arena. The Women’s Christian Temperance Union included all Christian churches in the county. The Graton branch is pictured here at the Baptist Church of Graton in 1910. (Sonoma County Library)
(5 of ) 1930s Local opposition to Prohibition - 1932
(6 of ) PC: Cathe (cq) and Darrell Verdusco (cq) are opening their home for the Junior League of Napa-Sonoma's Holiday Home Tour on December 7, to help raise money for child abuse prevention. The Verdusco's 1913 home was a speakeasy during prohibition with a bar on the second floor. cc1125_07speakeasy_Verdusco.jpg
12/6/2003:D1: Cathe and Darrell Verdusco's home, built in 1913, was a speakseasy during Prohibition and had a bar on the second floor. The couple will show their home Sunday in the Junior League of Napa and Sonoma's Holiday Home Tour.
(7 of ) Tasting room at the Simi Winery in Healdsburg created out of a 25,000 Champagne barrel in 1934 after the repeal of Prohibition. SIMI WINERY
(8 of ) Jim McCormick has collected wine industry artifacts for thirty years. This is a container for the grape juice made by the Nagasawa Winery in Santa Rosa during prohibition. June 20, 2012.
(9 of ) Bob Travers, winemaker/owner of Mayacamas Vineyards, bought the 19th-century winery in 1968. The, now, nearly 120-year old winery has a storied history that includes bankruptcy, abandonment and bootlegging during prohibition. Shot on Monday May 3, 2007 for spring Savor magazine 2008. ( Press Democrat / Charlie Gesell )
(10 of ) Gundlach Budschu Winery was founded in 1858 by Jacob Gundlach as J. Gundlach & Company. The winery closed in 1919 due to Prohibition. Between the end of Prohibition and 1970, most of the land was sold and the remaining vineyards produced grapes sold to other wineries. Jim Bundschu, great-grandson of Jacob Gundlach's business partner and successor, Charles Bundschu, resurrected the winery in 1970 under the name Vineburg Wine Company. In 1973, he restored the name Bundschu Gundlach Winery. (Sonoma County Library)
(11 of ) 1930s
A case of Korbel champagne from the Guerneville cellars was among the many thank-you gifts shipped to the White House from California's winemakers to celebrate the repeal of Prohibition.
(12 of ) Pictured are members of the Lippitt Temperance Club in 1903. Edward Lippitt formed the club in 1902 to teach moral and social values to young men. (Sonoma County Library)
(14 of ) A group of men and women stand outside the Independent Order of Good Templars building in Sebastopol in 1897.The order was an international, non-governmental organization working in the field of temperance, or total abstinence of alcohol. Unlike many groups of this time, it admitted men and women equally and made no distinction by race. (Sonoma County Library)
(15 of ) 6/30/2002: B1: By the start of Prohibition in 1919, Grace Brothers beer ranked with San Francisco's Acme and Sacramento's Buffalo as the favorites of Northern California.
(16 of ) The Fulton Winery, pictured here in the 1930s, ceased winemaking operations around 1919 and remained unused until 1930, when E.L. Laumann bought it to house his stove wood business. Later the buildings became a chicken processing plant. Today it houses an industrial artisan center. (Sonoma County Library)
(17 of ) Pictured is the Fulton Winery in the 1910s, before Prohibition. (Sonoma County Library)
(18 of ) During a tour of the Beringer Winery in St. Helena, tourguide Chris Hale (CQ), far left, informs guests from left to right Tom Rassmann (CQ), Natalie Rassmann (CQ), Mike Leonard (CQ), Sue Leonard (CQ) and Mark Roesler (CQ) about the history of the winery and how they were one of the first wineries to offer public tours after Prohibition.