Olive Press community olive pressing this weekend
The Olive Press, adjoining Jacuzzi Family Winery on Carneros Highway south of Sonoma, will go ahead with its community olive pressing this Sunday, Oct. 22 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday, Nov. 26 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Bring your homegrown olives to create a community olive oil, and hopefully your olive trees survived our inferno.
Olive advice from the Olive Press: “No olives, no worries. Join us and learn more about the milling process, share in the spirit of the community, and receive a 15 percent discount on all Olive Press merchandise.” I have done this – it’s actually exciting to watch and learn loads.
Olive Press’s tips for harvesting:
• Pick your olives in varying degrees of ripeness (20 to 30 percent green is ideal)
• Olives should be freshly picked, no more than 24 hours ahead of time
• Don’t use fallen fruit, place a tarp on the ground when you are picking
• Use an appropriate container, no plastic or paper bags, small tubs and buckets are perfect
• Please note, if you can’t lift it, neither can we.