We encourage comments on our reporting and value civil discussion, especially at this moment of robust national conversation on essential issues. We will not tolerate on our site debate that devolves into racist hate speech or personal attacks. Such discussion may require us to turn off the comments on some stories.
Disqus comments are not regularly monitored by Sonoma Index-Tribune staff. If you believe a comment violates any of the below rules, please flag the comment by left clicking your mouse on the down arrow to the right of the comment and then click on “Flag as inappropriate”. Staff will review and remove offending comments during working hours, 9am to 6pm, Monday through Friday.
The Sonoma Index-Tribune reserves the right to remove, block or refuse any comment for any reason. When posting to sonomanews.com, you agree to not provide comments that:
- are posted using the name of another person.
- contain vulgar, profane, abusive, racist or hateful language or expressions, epithets or slurs, text, photographs or illustrations in poor taste, inflammatory attacks of a personal, racial or religious nature.
- are defamatory, threatening, disparaging, grossly inflammatory, false, misleading, fraudulent, inaccurate, unfair, contains gross exaggeration or unsubstantiated claims, violate the privacy rights of any third party, are unreasonably harmful or offensive to any individual or community.
- discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation or disability, or refer to such matters in any manner prohibited by law.
- “flame” any individual or entity (e.g., sends repeated messages related to another user and/or make derogatory or offensive comments about another individual), or repeat prior posting of the same message under multiple threads or subjects.
- violate or encourage the violation of any municipal, state, federal or international law, rule, regulation or ordinance.
- advertise, promote or offer to trade any goods or services, except in areas specifically designated for such purpose.
- contain copyrighted or other proprietary material of any kind without the express permission of the owner of that material.
- violate any right of sonomanews.com or any third party.
- upload or transmit viruses or other harmful, disruptive or destructive files, material or code.