Representatives of the four counties that come together at Sears Point, where the infamous, hazardous, traffic-clogged Highway 37 goes east to Vallejo or west to Novato, have been meeting these past months to talk about making it a toll road.
Who says history doesn’t repeat itself?
Eagerness to find a faster way to the Sacramento Valley has taken us down this road before. That 10-mile ribbon of highway between ditches has already been a toll road.
The current plan is, as a recent PD editorial termed it, “a back-to-the future” proposal. A policy committee was formed last fall with the intent of finding a solution to the traffic congestion on the narrow road bordered by marshland and bay water, a route that could be impacted in the future by global warming and the resulting rise of sea levels.
In May the representatives from Marin, Sonoma, Napa and Solano counties were presented with an unsolicited proposal from United Bridge Partnership, a consortium that includes FIGG Bridge, a construction company specializing in “top-down” spans — roads like I-80’s Yolo Causeway into Sacramento — and American Infrastructure, a company that finances adventures such as this.
In an important next step, the group will decide if this plan is feasible.
THE FIRST TIME a motorist paid a toll to drive that highway was in 1928. There was a celebration at the opening. It was a graded and graveled road (160 feet wide) following the wagon routes that wandered among the man-made “islands” to Vallejo and the highways beyond. It had been a long time coming.
In 1925, a year after the Redwood Highway (now Highway 101) opened with a grand flourish, a group of businessmen interested in a shortcut from the new highway to the Sacramento Valley formed a company called the Sears Point Toll Road Inc.
The goal was to shorten the trip.
The money to accomplish this came from a company called Golden Gate Ferries, an early transport system with no connection to the future famous bridge and its ferry system.
It took three years to build the 10 miles. There were three drawbridges — at Tolay Creek, Sonoma Creek and the Napa River at Mare Island. The toll was 35 cents, paid willingly by “autoists,” as the drivers were known. The ceremonial opening of the toll road in July 1928 was a grand occasion, attended by dignitaries from the four counties that shared sections of the road. Exchange Bank president and Chamber of Commerce leader Frank Doyle led the Sonoma County delegation and kept careful notes.
The trip to Vallejo, by way of Napa, was 59.5 miles. Coming home over the toll road through Sonoma was 44 miles. The new road saved 15.5 miles for Doyle and travelers heading this way.
THE TOLL ROAD lasted just 10 years. Northern California, like the rest of the nation, had motorized. As traffic increased, so did the state’s participation.
By the mid-1930s, it was clear that the State Division of Highways would eventually add the toll road to its free, tax-financed highway system.
Travelers from the valley needed a shortcut to the long-awaited bridge across the Golden Gate. The old toll road, improved to state standards, would provide it.