In his song “Faith of Heart,” Rod Stewart sang, “It’s been a long road.” Many who have watched the Blue Wing Inn crumble over the decades would certainly agree. The venerable building is finally getting a new roof, necessary to protect its adobe walls from destructive elements. Some of the walls have stood since 1830, when they were constructed as part of the original Sonoma Mission complex on East Spain Street.
The roof replacement is the culmination of persistent efforts by numerous Sonoma Valley residents over many years.
Citizen groups have consistently advocated for the preservation of the building, while presenting various plans for its use. All, in theory, have been acceptable to State Park’s administration.
Advocates include a local woman who has for years maintained the garden behind the Blue Wing because of her love for the building.
The structure was closed by State Parks in 2001 because of seismic concerns.