Seven properties were honored Nov. 20, by the Sonoma League for Historic Preservation at its annual awards meeting.
Andrews Hall at the Sonoma Community Center, the Holloway property and the Stone Barn at Glen Oaks Ranch received awards of merit while Two Palms Estate, the Quiet Little House, the Bohar Residence and the Fat Pilgrim received awards of excellence.
• The Stone Barn at Glen Oaks Ranch: The Sonoma Land Trust, Degenkoib Engineers and Treeline Construction were honored for preserving a historic 1859 stone barn at 13255 Sonoma Highway in Glen Ellen.
The ranch was once part of the El Rancho Agua Caliente, a land grant that was issued to Gen. Marino Vallejo in 1839. After a series of owners, Col. Charles and Ellen Stuart purchased it in 1859. Stuart built a stone house, stone smoke house and stone barn using local stone and Chinese labor. Stuart called the Ranch Glen Ellen.
Later the village of Glen Ellen used the name for the Post Office and in order to avoid confusion Stuart renamed the ranch Glen Oaks.
The stone barn is a two-story gabled-roofed building constructed in 1859. It was whitewashed before 1952 and is now painted white.
From 1896, the Ranch changed hands four times until 1952 when Roswell and Camille Cochran purchased the ranch. When Roswell and Camille died, their daughter, Joan Cochran, inherited the ranch and continued to maintain all buildings. The Stone Barn was painted white to avoid having to white wash the building every three years.
In 1994, Glen Oaks Ranch was officially accepted to the National Registry of Historic Places.
In 2001, Joan granted three easements over the property. When Joan died in 2002, she left the land to the Sonoma Land Trust which has since preserved the property.
In 2010, an anonymous donor offered to provide half of the cost of completing all work required for the stone barn, and the Land Trust committed to raising the balance of the funds. Degenkolb Engineers drafted the construction plans by the end of that same year. Treeline Construction worked closely with the Trust and Degenkolb to refine plan details over the next year while permits were being secured, and they provided key solutions to safeguard the integrity of the structure during construction. Treeline completed construction between June and December 2012.
Work on the barn included seismic reinforcing and rehabilitation installing a new shake roof; adding new rafters; replacing rotted gable end siding; installing a reinforced concrete beam at the top of the stone walls; anchoring the roof to the new beam; drilling and installing stainless steel rods every three feet throughout all walls to connect the two rock layers; replacing rotted joists and flooring; repointing cracks and fallen stones; and repairing doors and window shutters.
• The Fat Pilgrim, 20820 Broadway: Craig Miller was honored for a major reconstruction and preservation of a commercial building.
The 1.3-acre property was birthed in the early ’40s and by 1952, it was the Jackpot Gas Station, with the proprietors living in the very simple structure to the south of the gas station. Not much is known about those times or the family history but when Craig Miller purchased the property in 2010, its past was worn clearly on its face.