Eight cited, one arrested in teen melee

An alcohol-fueled melee at 5 a.m. landed one teen in juvenile hall and eight others were cited for various alcohol-related offenses.

It went down shortly before 5 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 21, when Sonoma County Sheriff’s deputies were sent to a street fight in the 100 block of Siesta Way.

A witness reported that at least one of the combatants was bleeding, but as deputies arrived, the teens fled to an apartment and refused to let them them in. The deputies nevertheless forced entry and started sorting things out.

Eight of the participants were eventually cited; they included a 16-year-old male for being a minor in possession of alcohol; an 18-year-old male for contributing to the delinquency of a minor; a 20-year-old male on the same charge; a 17-year-old male for being a minor in possession of alcohol; a 20-year-old male for contributing to the delinquency; an 18-year-old male for contributing to the delinquency; a 17-year-old for being a minor in possession and an 18-year-old for contributing to the delinquency.

Finally, another 17-year-old male, who wanted to fight the deputies, discovered that being both 17, and drunk, wasn’t a promising equation when confronting a sober, adult deputy. The youth was given the opportunity to ponder the nature of such folly after he was arrested for resisting and being a minor in possession of alcohol. He was delivered to juvenile hall.

In other incidents reported recently to Valley law enforcement:

Saturday, Sept. 21:

12:44 p.m. – Someone stole my guns – six months ago. A resident in the 18000 block of Riverside Drive reported a burglary, but one that took place about six months earlier. The reason the resident finally reported the incident was because he noticed that two of his pistols were missing. He told a deputy that he originally thought only a laptop computer and an Xbox had been taken, and he didn’t report it because “there’s no chance of getting it back, so why bother.” But then he discovered that a pistol – and later a second pistol – were also missing. He kept one of the pistols, a .38 caliber chrome Smith&Wesson, in an unlocked metal box propping a door open. He told Sheriff’s deputies the last time he had seen the pistol was about a year ago. He also discovered a .357 pistol was also missing, and he didn’t have serial numbers on either gun. A deputy managed to track down the serial numbers on both guns, but so far there are no leads.

Sunday, Sept. 22:

6 p.m. – Out of the bushes and into jail. While on patrol in the 18000 block of Sonoma Highway, a Sheriff’s deputy noticed a man attempting to hide in some bushes. After the deputy parked and approached the not-well-thought-out hiding place, a woman emerged from the bushes. At that point, a man took off in a different direction and hopped a fence as the deputy’s Taser missed its mark. The man continued across Highway 12 and hopped a second fence, but was soon brought down by a deputy who tackled him. Even after his takedown, the man continued to struggle and, during a search, the deputies discovered two glass pipes, commonly used to smoke methamphetamine. They also discovered the man had two warrants out for his arrest – one a felony and the other a misdemeanor. When deputies went back to the bushes where the drama had begun, they found a small bag – 3.21 grams to be exact – of what was later determined to be methamphetamine. Deputies arrested Steven Gipson, 46, of the Springs, and charged him with felony possession of a controlled substance, possession of paraphernalia, resisting arrest and his two outstanding warrants. He was transported to the county jail.